On 5 October 2022, Kyiv, the staff of the State Customs Service of Ukraine attended an online training on “Corporate fraud: prevention, detection and countermeasures” under the support of the EU-funded project “EU Support to Strengthening Integrated Border Management in Ukraine”.
The training was delivered by the PwC Academy (PricewaterhouseCoopers) to the experts representing central and regional levels of the State Customs Service. Main topics covered were:
- Fraud and its causes (“fraud triangle”);
- Prevention of fraud through the implementation of internal control mechanisms and change of corporate culture;
- Types of fraud (appropriation of assets, corruption, distortion of reporting);
- Detection (“red flags”, analytical procedures) and investigation of fraud;
- Identification of possible facts of operational inefficiency and fraud in business processes; process changes to prevent these risks.
The training was implemented as part of the overall project activity on improving asset and budget management, internal audit and quality management systems and processes within and between IBM stakeholders, including improving internal audit, control and quality management and accountability systems. The training particularly aimed at the newly established SCSU Internal Audit Department to help build their staff capacity, increase their professional competence in internal audit procedures, and support executing daily duties in the most competent way.
At the conclusion of this short training course, which received highly positive feedback, an online test on thematic components was done, and successful participants were granted certificates from PwC Academy.